History Hosts – Rolling Basis Multiple Positions Available
Job Description: History Hosts are friendly, well-versed and responsible people who serve every visitor at Dallas Heritage Village. This position is two-fold as they are the primary front-line staff that must maintain and assist in the retail portion of our business as well as interact with guests in immersive ways to teach and make history. Therefore, each History Host is required to be cross trained for at least two posts, one of which must be the Ticket Office.
Currently, we are looking for someone whose primary duties will focus on the Shotgun House.
Shotgun House – Share details about nineteenth-century life, paying special attention to information regarding African American daily life in North Texas. Be prepared to discuss with visitors the unique challenges that faced African Americans living in Texas at the turn of the last century.
- Ticket Office
- General Store
- Section House
If chosen for an interview, we’ll send you the complete job description for these posts in advance of your interview.
General Job duties:
- Provide high quality customer service to all museum visitors.
- Be familiar with the school tour program and engage students who visit as part of this program.
- Teach select public programs and classes, including Girl Scout Workshops, Boy Scout Workshops and Birthday Parties.
- Must think creatively and demonstrate flexibility as part of a small staff and based on finite resources.
- Continue learning about history as new questions are asked by visitors and new exhibits are developed by staff.
- Must be flexible and adapt to the visitors’ needs. This may mean shifting out of character and into a more contemporary voice.
- All staff should be able to provide general tours of Millermore and Sullivan.
- Maintain the cleanliness and orderliness of the interpretative areas as appropriate.
- For most historic building posts, historical clothing is preferred but not required.
- Must be comfortable speaking to large and small groups of all ages
- Be comfortable handling money and working a register
- Have a desire and demeanor for working with the public
- Love of history is a plus!
- Previous customer service experience preferred
- Flexible schedules available, but must be able to work some weekdays and some weekends
The History Host position is set on an hourly pay scale and will accumulate a maximum of 20 hours/week. Shifts are 9:30 to 4:30, Tuesday-Saturday; 11:30 to 4:30 Sunday. At this time we need an individual with full weekend availability. Availability during the week is appreciated but not required. Teaching opportunities are primarily weekends and are paid on a per program basis.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Caitlin Hughes, Visitor Experiences Manager:
Dallas Heritage Village
ATTN: Caitlin Hughes
1515 South Harwood St.
Dallas, TX 75215-1273.
There are currently no full time positions available.